Thursday, October 28, 2010

Overheard in New York Seen in Los Angeles

As I was writing recently that two hours of my day are lost to my commute, I started wondering if there is anything I can do while I drive to and from the office. I usually listen to NPR and that gives me my current event awareness that I would otherwise completely lack, but sometimes that gets boring after 45 minutes or so. I've thought about books on tape but haven't tried that yet. I also usually call my mom once a day. But what else is there? Today I spied on looked around at other drivers sharing the road with me, and my mind was instantly filled with possibilities. I saw drivers:

* Texting/emailing on their phones or blackberries
* Applying make-up
* Eating breakfast and drinking coffee
* Reading the newspaper (spread out over the steering wheel)
* Marking up a huge stack of paper with a pen
* Turning around to face their kids in the backseat to have a conversation
* Dancing
* Flossing their teeth
* Picking their nose

This was all this morning. I myself was admiring the clear, pretty air and the gorgeous view of the morning sun shining down on the Hollywood hills. Mind you, all these drivers were on the freeway, but when you are only going between 10 and 30 MPH the whole time, it apparently becomes easy to multi-task. I wonder why people think LA drivers are so terrible?

4 comments:

Gillian said...

For serious, I once saw a guy driving down the highway with a porno mag on the steering wheel, and his other hand doing something mysterious below the window-level. I hightailed it out of his range as fast as possible.

I used to listen to books on tape during my 1.25 hours-each-way commute. My recommendation - you need to get mystery novels or exciting books. I tried to listen to Cold Mountain and the guy's voice put me to sleep. But Janet Evanovich novels were exciting! The best book I ever listened to was Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and another book by the same author (and read by the same voice) - The Ladies of Grace Adieu. Captivating. And about 20 CDs long, so good for lots of hours!

CP said...

ha ha ha...wow. I saw a guy actually on his laptop while he was driving. I saw this car swerving all over the road, I almost called the cops or something, I thought he was drunk. When I pulled up next to him, I saw that his laptop was out and he was working on something!

I hear you on the time lost commuting (3.5-4 hours a day for me!). Music and books on tape are really all you can do while driving.

Michael said...

lol - you missed one. What about the driver who's got his/her ass in the air, rummaging under the seat looking for the bagel they've dropped? :p

Downsized Attorney said...

I listen to books on tape on the days I make the hour long commute into the office. At first it was hard for me to follow, but I think it's actually improved my listening skills.