Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What They Didn't Tell Me at Law School Orientation

I don't really find law school to be hard. Even 1L year was fine. Finals are never fun, but they're definitely not as traumatic as some students make them out to be. When I got pregnant, I knew I would be taking finals near the end of pregnancy, but I figured it wouldn't be any harder than working near the end of pregnancy, so I didn't worry too much.

Well now I know why the end of the semester is made more complicated by being pregnant.
1. I'm SOOO F*&$#ing uncomfortable. Not just when I'm sleeping anymore. I can't sit down for more than 10 minutes at a time without wanting to have my ribs surgically removed. That and possibly my pelvis. Oh, and now my back has joined the party... I feel like I need to crack it about every 5 minutes, which of course has become impossible.
There's just not enough room for this baby in there, and it's 3x as bad when I sit. I have not yet mastered the ability to study while standing unfortunately. Which brings me to number 2.
2. I'm tired. Not like I always need to sleep, just like if nothing super interesting is going on, I have a hard time finding the motivation to stay awake. So while it might be possible to study lying down, I can't because I would definitely fall asleep.
3. Being so uncomfortable has made me OBSESSED with wondering when this will all be over. My brain won't accept the fact that every pregnancy is different and there's no real way to tell when the baby will decide he's ready to be born. Therefore, I read a gazillion message boards about women who have had their babies early, women who were late, women who induced, women who had elective c-sections, women who swear they know the trick to triggering labor, etc... I have calculated all sorts of things in my head... My last final is Dec. 11th, therefore I need to make it to 38 weeks exactly before Uno comes. If he appears then, I'll have 30 days until school starts in the Spring. If he comes on his due date (Dec. 26th), I'll have 16 days. If he is a week late (OMG, PLEASE GOD NOT 6 MORE WEEKS), I'll have 9 days. At what point is more time post-birth better than waiting for labor to start naturally?

The one thing I am sure you need to get through final exams is the ability to focus for more than 20 minutes at a time on what you are studying. This is where I fail. Of course, I would be failing at work too, but that's another story.

I am probably just being a huge, whiney baby because I don't have anything unusual to complain about. I haven't had any Braxton-Hicks contractions, I haven't felt nauseous, I can sleep sort of ok (not comfortably, but I still get probably 7 hours a night), I don't have to pee more than usual, I don't have any swelling (in fact my rings are looser than usual) and my bout with heartburn ended about a month ago after persisting for a measly week.
But I don't care, I will complain because I feel entitled. I hate pregnancy. HATE HATE HATE.

1 comment:

CP said...

Ugh! I hear you. I totally sympathize. I remember how awful it was being pregnant towards the end. It's only made worse by having to sit and concentrate at work or at school. But you can get through it!!!