Stuff we're getting soon:
* Crib – we still haven't fully decided on what to get… at first, I wanted a crib and changing table from pottery barn kids, but I just couldn't rationalize spending so much money on something that I'm pretty sure isn't of quality that deserves that price tag. I started looking at BabiesRUs and online for cribs that had good customer reviews and were in the $200-$400 range. The Baby Bargains book (Thank you SO MUCH to those of you who recommended it!!!) has a really extensive and detailed section on cribs and other nursery furniture, but their top picks are still more expensive than I think I want to spend ($600 for a crib, more for matching dressers). I don't want to buy something that looks cheap or will fall apart soon, so I would invest in good quality if I was sure it would last… but it's hard to tell what is actually good quality and what is just expensive. I think we'll try to decide this weekend on nursery furniture.
UPDATE - we ordered the Munire Essex Crib and double dresser today... The crib is mahogany wood in a cherry finish, converts to a toddler and full size bed and seems really sturdy. The dresser is a 6 drawer dresser (side by side) so we plan on using it as a changing table in the nursery (with plenty of storage), but we figure it can easily be used in a regular bedroom with the full-size bed too. The place we bought it from had a sale this weekend with no sales tax added, and there is no delivery charge if we pick it up from the store, so it was actually really reasonably priced as well. I absolutely love it! My only concern is with the delivery time frame... reviews online said the manufacturer is notoriously delayed. At first, they quoted us a 12-14 week window. When we said that wouldn't work, they supposedly found a huge warehouse in northern California with two left in stock, so we should get them within 2-4 weeks. If it's going to be longer, we can change our order, but I really hope we don't have to!
* Dresser (also using as a changing table) - what exactly we get depends on the crib, but I am thinking I want a 6 drawer dresser, so that it's long enough and low enough to use a changing table but still with enough storage room for all the stuff.
* Glider & ottoman (well, we already got this because PJO's mom gave us the money to buy it while it was on sale as an early Christmas gift... we got Dutalier and I LOVE it!)
* We are also going to buy a starting supply of diapers/wipes/detergent and a back-up container of formula at some point before the baby is born
Stuff we're registering for:
* Infant car seat (Graco snugride – cheap, safe, good reviews)
* Stroller frame (Graco snug-ride; it's cheap, lightweight and has good reviews… Once Uno is too big for infant seat, we'll look into buying a regular stroller (I think waiting to buy it until 4 or 6 months when we'll actually need it makes more sense than buying it now... as of now, we like Maclaren, Chico or peg perego)
* Baby bjorn carrier – some people don't like these, but I think we'll use it a lot since we're outside so much. This seemed sturdier than a sling which is why I want it instead.
* bouncer and swing – most people say to just buy one of these, but I put both on my registry and figure I will probably use both at some point, and worst case I can decide later whether to keep them
* bedding - mattress, several plain crib sheets, sheet savers plus the cute stuff that's a waste of money but I can't resist. We also registered for the changing table pad and cover
* Bottles / Nipples - We registered for Dr. Browns and Born Free glass bottles (2 of each brand for both the small and bigger size)... I plan on breastfeeding and pumping, so I will use bottles but probably not exclusively. I want to make sure to have more than one brand in case Uno doesn't like the first one we try, and I figure we can buy more later if we need more.
* Boppy pillow
* The standard bathing stuff, first aid and grooming kits
* baby monitor - although I don't know if we'll really need this, since we're in a little apartment.
* A few blankets and swaddlers
* Pack 'n play – I wasn't going to get this, but since I'm not really sure what our childcare situation will be (i.e. we aren't sure that we'll have someone come to our place), I thought we should have one of these. I also could this as a bassinet if we decide we want one. We weren't going to use a bassinet at all since the nursery is about 10 feet from our bed (my mom never used one for us either), but I figure it won't hurt to have this in case we decide to use it as a bassinet.
* Crib Tent - I can't decide what to do about this one... My thought is that I should have something to keep the cats out of the crib... I can't really imagine actually using it, it doesn't have great reviews and it's UGLY. But what if I need to keep curious cats away from Uno? I'll probably end up never taking it out of the box, but it's still on here in case I decide I need it.
stuff we will buy later:
* baby clothes - Especially given that I am apparently destined to have a large baby (who will likely not fit in 0-3 month clothes ever), I am not planning on buying any newborn clothes. After the baby shower, I will figure out what clothes we still need, since I know most women can't resist buying cute little baby clothes.
* Regular stroller
* High Chair
* (maybe sooner) Breast Pump – I think I'm leaning towards getting a double electric pump. At least until June, I'll only have to be gone for class for a 5-hour stretch on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so I probably won't pump at school. Therefore, I would rather have a pump that can build a good supply efficiently, and if I still pump when I'm gone for longer stretches during the day, it will work well. BUT I still don't know if I want to drop $250 or so before having the baby in case there is a reason why I can't breastfeed. Baby Bargains recommends waiting and possibly renting one for the first month to see if it works for you… this might be a pain, and I might just buy a pump earlier, but it makes sense to me. We'll see. I think I would probably get the Medela Pump in Style Advanced because it has the best reviews and is the median price of the best-rated ones, b/w Ameda purely yours and the Avent Isis iQ.
Thoughts?
4 comments:
I had a couple of thoughts...
First - diapers. Absolutely stock up. But stock up in size 1, especially if your baby's big. Eden was 8 lb 10 oz and grew out of newborns in like 10 days or something.
Second - pack 'n play. I think it's a great thing to have, not only because it's a safe place to put the baby when he's old enough to play alone, but also because it's a lifesaver when you're out of town.
Finally - the crib tent. I also have a cat, and I was worried about this issue, especially because for awhile he was sleeping in the bassinet. EEK! But as soon as we brought Eden home, all bassinet-sleeping stopped. Although he does now occasionally jump into the bassinet, he NEVER does it when she's in there (he always peeks over the side first). And he's never, ever jumped into her crib. I'm not sure he can get up there (or if he can, I'm not sure he knows it). So anyway I don't think it's necessary. But I'd be interested to hear if other people have different opinions.
We LOVE our baby swing. I don't know how I would cook dinner/take a shower/go to the bathroom without it!
The furniture looks amazing! So cute. We are using a hand me down bassinet for now (which I love) and are planning on buying an IKEA crib later- it's the cheap route but we're going to try it out.
We also bought a dresser from IKEA and are using it as a changing table as well, we just put a changing pad on top of it and it works great.
I can't believe how organized you are already! It's good to wait to buy things until after your baby shower too, you never know what people will give you!
I would also forgo the crib tent; we had a very jumpy, very cuddly cat and she never once jumped in the crib or pack 'n play once Landon was in it. She steered pretty clear of this crazy, noisy, smelly little human in her house!
Don't get a Boppy. Get the unfortunately named, but much better executed, My Brest Friend pillow. It's flat, giving your baby a nice shelf, unlike the Boppy, which is rounded in the middle, making it hard to stabilize the kid.
And congratulations. :)
Post a Comment