With the exception of 1, every August 1st for the last 5 years, I've moved to a new apartment. The four years before that I moved into a new dorm room each August. Soon PJO and I will make our 4th move in 5 years. Our first was a cross-country move with two cats but little furniture. Since then, we have accumulated more stuff, most notably a baby and all of his accoutrements.
I thought that in moving to suburbia, we would finally settle down, buy a house and stay put for several years. As it turns out, our desire to be free of a landlord is pretty much the only thing that supports a decision to buy. The combination of student loan debt and our plans to expand our family in the next few years make buying a starter home a waste of money.
So most likely, we will rent again. It's a little disappointing, but I'm trying to think of the perks...flexibility over the next few years and the ability to greatly accelerate paying off my loans. At this rate, I'll be happy if we feel settled by the time Timmy starts Kindergarten, which I guess is what matters anyway.
1 comment:
I think that's not bad news - it'll definitely be helpful for you in case your commute is really bad and you need to move somewhere in between your work and your hubs'. I rent, too, and i get frustrated about it, but living in California it's really hard to buy in your 20's or early 30's.
Post a Comment